Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Creative Joys

Canning. Such a homely activity. Seems antithema for me to enjoy it, but I do. In the last two weeks I have 'put up' (my grandmothers always said it that way) 46 jars of seed strained raspberry and marionberry jam. I love both of these, but hate dealing with the seeds, so after much experimentation, I have come up with a way to remove most of them without losing the texture of jam. Oh, they are good, right now especially over ice cream!

As I stirred and boiled and poured, I had plenty of time to think about why I was taking time to do this. I decided I truly enjoy the whole activity. My favorite part of canning is taking the jars out of the hot steam and hearing the lids suck down. Such a satisfying sound! Then I get to stack a whole cupboard full, stand back and enjoy my work. Like the Creator, thinking, This is Good.

I have two more projects awaiting the garden's produce: zucchini relish and dill pickles. I can't wait until we can harvest and get started.

Canning, summer, grandmothers - these live together in my happy memories and are part of the creative joys of my life.

2 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger Kathie said...

Way to go Kath! I haven't put up produce since the late 70s and although I too have pleasant memories, taking the jars out of the canner was NOT my favorite part. That steam bath just made me think that freezing would be better! But you get big kudos for doing such homey work. Well done! KaK

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Kassie said...

It makes me smile thinking about what my kids' memories of you will be. I love my memories of my grandparents and greats. Thanks for taking us even when it wasn't the most fun in your day. :) I love you!! KK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home