Tuesday, March 14, 2006

For several months I have wanted to buy quail and set them free in our yard, so as part of my anniversary gift we bought 25 newly hatched bobwhite quail. I’ve missed seeing quail, and with a pond and half an acre of our lot untamed it seemed like a good place to try and experiment. As my kids will attest, I love doing experiments. They were my first (and best), but now I am reduced to messing with the minds of animals, birds and plants. I’m trying to come up with a way to convince these wild animals not to be afraid of me and train my dog to protect, not pounce on them, once I set them free. I am definitely a better bet for their continued survival than the rottweilers next door or the cats that roam the yard. They, of course, scatter and hide whenever I come near their cage and today I caught Mitzie pouncing on the screen that covers their box. I’m still working on my approach to these issues.

When we first brought them home one could have fit in a ¼ cup with room to spare. Not even two weeks of growth and they are 4 times that size. They have an amazing capacity to eat and the quantity of what they excrete is unbelievable. Michael says I have my own guano factory going in the kitchen.

They are really adorable and incredibly strong. It’s getting tough to hold them – they just push and jump out of my hand. They also can spring straight up about 4 times their height. My favorite trait is the chirping, cooing sound they make. All 24 (we lost one in the mosh pit) together sound like wind in the trees or water on the pond. Of course when they are wet or hungry or hurt the chirping turns to cheeping of an intensity no mother can ignore! I’ve been caught checking up on them in the wee hours of the night.


Soon I will have to let them go. I’m working on ways to bribe them to return, like free food, shelter and heat. I’m not sure what that looks like, yet. I have discovered from friends that there are other people who do this just for the fun of seeing them in the yard. I’m considering adding ring-neck pheasant for next spring. Slowly I’m working up to CHICKENS! And maybe when I retire, mohair goats.

4 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger butterfly cocoon said...

w-a-t-c-h for Dick. Cheney that is.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger ~ jessica said...

It's like a petting zoo. I love it. Can I come visit again when they've settled? :D

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger jennylou said...

What! You're supposed to save your frequent flyer miles to see me, Jess! :) Mom, sounds crazy and fun. Hopefully, though, you won't keep the baby goats in the kitchen....

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger J.R. said...

Um, so how is the whole "messing with the minds of plants" thing going? Don't let them fool you, they are crafty buggers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home