Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mother-goals

This week Kassie and I were talking about goals vs task orientation. While I can be task oriented, I have been goal focused in my life, specifically during my mommie years. These goals, while they influenced the lives of my family, were really about what I wanted to accomplish. They are in random order just because I can't bear to rate them :)

  • Make sure my children knew God loves them.
  • See that they learn to turn to him even before me.
  • Be sure they know as early as possible the values I hold dear in case I am not around to teach them later.
  • Impose no artificial limitations.
  • Help them be responsible for themselves and for their own choices.
  • Teach them to love nature; to stop and smell the roses.
  • To be kind for no reason.
  • To value characture over accomplishment both in themselves and in others.
  • Be kind to themselves.
  • That they are wonderful!
  • That laughter cures a lot, even sickness.
  • That the difficult things they encounter are not handicaps; just something to overcome.
  • To strive to get better, not bitter.

    My personal goals:

  • Live in such a way as to create happy wrinkles. (that is almost enough right there).
  • Make where I have been a better place because God went there with me and blessed it and those there.
  • Leave footprints even a child can follow.
  • Create wonder in others.
  • Simplify.

    Of course there are more; some forgotten, some abandoned, but all shaped who I am.

3 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Kassie said...

I LOVE THAT!! I think that's an exercise all of us should do. Thanks for sharing and challenging. Love you, Mom!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger jennylou said...

The two that stick out most to me as well-remembered lessons are #1, #5, and #6. Also, you left one out: that they are beautiful even when they are in 6th grade and quite round with a bad haircut and no sense of style. Absolutely beautiful. (which was a good lesson for spouse-picking because I married a man who tells me I am beautiful as much now as you did then). I love you.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger J.R. said...

Good post! I will be looking forward to next years. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home